Friday, November 2, 2012

Sailing Beginner- Reefing the Jib Sail Using a Furling- Conclusion

By now this whole incident was really starting to wear on my nerves, as every time I would come about the jib sail would luff so violently that I thought that it would get ripped into shreds, while simultaneously the boom was violently swinging back and forth until the wind would slam it so hard that the boat would heel to a great degree. But in all this chaos, I was still making progress and was making head way to my destination. Right about then I was about half the distance to the boat ramp and I was hoping that the wind would let off a bit, especially before I was to enter into the last part of the lake where it widens out and the wind is typically more severe than the other two thirds of the lake.

Sailing Tip: If you get heeled over on the port or starboard side when coming about in a tack, the best course of action is to steer the tiller away from you as this will steer the rudder into the wind thus putting you into the eye of the wind allowing the weight of the keel to counter the boat upright once again and for you to regain control as well.
In fact, my present location was right dead in the middle of this body of water which feels like you’re in some kind of a vacuum vortex of sorts, because the wind is blocked by the mountains that surround this area. Compounded with the shallow water buoys that eat up a lot of precious water real estate while tacking, it can be a real challenge in navigating this section of the lake. And now for the third time, my sailboat heeled over once again on the port side but once again I was quickly able to steer out of it and continue to come about in spite of the wind.
Now I had to concentrate and focus as to where, when, and how I was going to finally be able to lower my sails without incidence as they needed to come down very soon, especially now that the wind had intensified on this section of the lake. I had just past the last two shallow water buoys and now the boat ramp was in sight. So about three hundred yards past the last shallow water buoy, I finally made the decision that it would be the perfect place to dump the sails and fire up the outboard. Although I recall at the time that even though the sailing conditions were challenging enough, it was even worse in my estimation knowing that at some point I had to let go of the tiller and relinquish control of the vessel so that I could have my hands free to lower the sails. As it was I was sailing single-handed and it sure changes one’s perspective when the wind is so strong that it is capable of pushing the sail boat over 5 knots without sails!

At the time it seemed like a daunting task, as I would’ve preferred to keep sailing but daylight was fleeting and was not on my side. So my decision was made to pull the sails, so I locked the tiller in place with a piece of rope and began lowering the jib first which was like catching a cat on a hot tin roof as the wind was moving it to and fro with great intensity. The main sheet was next and it was a struggle trying to keep it in the boat while lowering it was almost impossible, but I managed to reel it in.

By now, I was less than 50 yards from shore, but fortunately I was able to get my outboard in the water and got it running just it in the nick of time, as I was only 10 yards from running aground when I got it started. My trusty little 4 horse Mariner finished the final leg of this arduous journey and I made it to the dock just as the wind subsided and it was calm once again as nightfall was approaching. Go figure! Anyhow I was glad to have returned in one piece safe and sound with no damage to my boat. 

I hope you are enjoying my sailing beginner blog, however, if you’re really pressed for time, I have also put together an audio and e book for a nominal price, so that you can learn how to sail while commuting to work or anytime you can listen to your favorite audio playing device. So now there is no excuse for you to daydream any longer about sailing! Get started today, you will be glad you did. Just click this link: www.sailingbeginner.com for more information in getting your hands on a copy of my audio and e book. Until then- Happy Sailing!

 
      



 

          

No comments:

Post a Comment