Friday, November 2, 2012

Reefing the Jib Sail Using a Furling- Part 3


By now the wind was really blowing to the point of listing my boat on its side. I had the weird feeling that I was really in trouble here as I had my hands full trying to adjust the main and jib sails while simultaneously trying to steer the boat. The sailboat now had heeled over on its port side and instinctively I pushed the tiller away from me and braced my legs in the cockpit to keep me from falling overboard. By this time the mast was horizontal to the water and the wind now was completely dumped off from the sails. Thankfully the boat up righted by my steering the boat into the wind in combination with the weight of the keel. However, my adrenaline was at an all-time high so much so, that even the strongest cup of espresso wouldn't have affected me what so ever.

In any case, I was beginning to think that I was sailing in no man's land and began to question my decision to continue sailing giving these conditions. At this juncture the staunch realty of my situation was getting worse because now it started to pour like cats and dogs and I was getting soaked even though I was wearing a rain coat. I was getting very cold and began to shiver. And if that wasn’t enough stimulation for me, I soon realized that I was also entertaining a captive audience who was watching me from shore. Being in this predicament, I didn’t have time to think about entertaining anyone as I was in survival mode and I was trying to save my skin as well as my sailboat.

In any case, my audience seemed keenly interested in the live reality show that was unfurling in front of them. My guess is they were trying to decide who was going to be the victor- Mother Nature or me? In any case, I didn’t disappoint them even though I really didn’t know whether to sail or bail at this point. The relentless force of the wind was overpowering and once again the boat listed over on its side. However, in spite of all my efforts letting out the clew line on the jib sail while steering away from the wind so that it would fall off the main was to no avail, as the boat listed over on its other side now for the third time! And I was beginning to think it might be a good time to start praying.

Sailing Tip: I always wear my life vest when I am in the boat. Hopefully you will do the same when you learn how to sail as well. Over the years many experienced swimmers have lost their lives because they became over confident in their own swimming ability because they didn't wear a life saving device.

No comments:

Post a Comment